• Don't shop when you're hung-over. Order take-out instead.
• Don't shop while you are under the influence for obvious reasons. You may pick up
the wrong ingredients or spend more money on beer and nuts.
• Create a shopping list. This is the most important thing to bring with you.
• Have your coupons handy.
• Check out the in-store specials.
• Get to know the meat experts. They are your butcher and seafood monger. If you are friendly with them they can recommend the best and freshest deals.
I like to go to different types of markets. The big chains are great, but the specialty markets are where you can get hard-to-find gourmet products. These will impress your date because you made the effort to go the extra mile and get that special item. I also find that farmers' markets have an interesting array of organic produce that is often better and cheaper that the larger shops.